Kingston was first recorded in royal records in the year 838.
Six kings were crowned here from the 10th century onwards, including Athelstan, the first King of England. The Coronation Stone used in the king-making ceremonies is situated in the grounds of the Guildhall.
The original name ‘King’s Tun’ means a royal farm estate. The 1086 Domesday survey records five mills and three salmon fisheries – the borough’s current emblem comprises three salmon.
Kingston Museum in Wheatfield Way has three permanent exhibitions on Ancient Origins, Town of Kings and pioneering photographer Eadweard Muybridge.
2012 marked the centenary of Thomas Sopwith moving his military aircraft design factory to Canbury Park Road.