The Ancient Market is a modern-day market and pleasant open space which demonstrates Kingston’s commitment to incorporating the past into the future.
The Ancient Market dates back to the start of the 13th century, and the Grade II-listed Market House was built in 1848. The market has undergone a £3m overhaul, partly funded by the London Mayor. Improvements combine subtly toned new granite paving, stylish but functional street furniture and a creative lighting scheme to create a beautiful public space with character and drama. There are brand new timber market stalls which provide a much better working environment for the market traders and incorporate a “glowing orchard” artwork feature which illuminate the stalls when they are closed and help to bring vibrancy to the market place in the evening. The Market House is expected to be leased as a restaurant to drive up footfall in the area.